Friday, June 29, 2012

Fan of the Sport!

There are times when I hear our athletes say, "Nobody appreciates (or recognizes) cross country (even when we have won 2 state championships, 2 city championships and numerous regions and sectional championships"). Well so what!

Especially when I meet with the few of my team members showing up for practices this past week.

And what's so special about this week (and last)? Well... IT'S THE OLYMPIC TRIALS!!!

I come to practice to discuss the results, but no one has a clue (Galen Rupp beat Lagat after losing to him 12 times previously, and running a 52 second lap in the process!!!). No one at NPA has ever run a 52 second lap... alone!

The best story so far was Julia Lucas's 4th place finish in the women's 5K (or should I have said, "sad story?").

Never mind that Lomong qualified... who on the team noticed?

My point. BE A FAN!

It's a truly wonderful sport!!! If you can't. I'm sorry and my coaching is somewhat lost on you.

If you want to glance at why our sport is the greatest, check this out:

http://www.letsrun.com/

No comments: